Home brew HMI for the PocketNC

I decided to make a prototype HMI for the PocketNC using the new Kinetic Control.
Responsiveness is very impressive as you can see. Based on raspberry pi and some customizable keyboards. Even over wifi the performance is great. Very customizable.

4 Likes

Here is the process for making the pendant. It’s really easy.
After gather all the parts I installed the OS to the raspberry pi and display driver.
I had to use the utility for the keyboards to program unique keys for each keyboard. This is persistent after doing it once.
The I laid out the positions and cut cardboard to build the pendant layer by layer and allowing cutouts for the keyboards, Raspberry pi, USB hub and power cables. I just hot glued it all together.
I made a simple script to launch google chrome into app mode to remove the unneeded browser functions. don’t forget to make it an executable .sh file.
command is /bin/chromium-browser --app=192.168.x.x
set the ip to whatever your machines ip address is.

Parts List:

Raspberry Pi with touch screen

Need to install the display driver and set your desired rotation

Keyboards
4 key
https://www.amazon.com/Ecarke-Mechanical-Keyboard-Yourself-Programming/dp/B093WJ38D9/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=4+Key+Keypad+Mini+Keyboard&qid=1636597769&sr=8-3
12 key

these can be found on ebay or ali barber, I used japan amazon as i live in japan.

other
USB 4 port Hub 3x 20cm usb cables to connect the keyboards. the 12 key are usc c and the 4 key was micro usb
Hot glue gun
Right angle USB C adapter to direct the power cable down through the base
Cardboard for layering the pendant
Black tape to make it look ok and stronger

I’m happy to help anybody if they have questions etc.
Regards
Paul

4 Likes

@TokyoPav - Thank you very much for sharing your PiHMI setup. I will be looking to make a similar version of this as my next project. I will be sure to share my build steps and bill of materials list for the community to help keeping this move forward. The one main change I plan to make from the beginning is to design a frame and 3d print (which will be shared on Thingiverse :slight_smile: )

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi @daClubber
Thanks for the message. Looking forward to seeing your version :+1:
You will be glad you did it once you use it for the first time.
Cheers
TP

@TokyoPav - I am sure that I will be glad. I am sitting here talking about it with my father and he said the same thing. He has watched me the past month make so many trips between my computer and machine sitting 3 feet away. Again, great idea and thanks.

Ryan

I also plan to add a Pi Cam module and Microphone for remote monitoring.

I plan to also publish Kinetic UI via Cloudflare Access so that I can control/stop the machine while not on my local network. I do this already for other apps and Octoprint which is used for 3d printing.

that’s very cool. I can imagine a cool stand for the pedant that points at the machine.